About the Farm
For over 90 years, the WARREN COUNTY CHAPTER has worked to protect our natural resources in Virginia's Northern Shenandoah Valley.
Our MISSION is "...to strive for the purity of water, the clarity of air, and the wise stewardship of land and its resources; to know the beauty and understanding of nature and the value of wildlife, woodlands and open space; to the preservation of the heritage and to man's sharing in it."
We do this in a fun, family-friendly environment from our beautiful 125 year-old, 155-acre farm park, nestled in an arm of the Blue Ridge near Browntown,VA.
What We Do
For over 60 years, our members have turned their time and effort to conservation, restoration, and beautification of the property. A pond was built soon after the property was purchased. An extensive educational trail system has been developed along the ridges and adjacent to the creeks.
Wildlife plantings were a priority and now consist of extensive stretches of a few remaining Chinese chestnut trees, autumn olives, pear and apple trees, lespedeza, small annual grain plots, pin oaks, and chinquapins.
Consistent with the League's policy of wise stewardship of the land and its resources, members are able to fish and hunt on the property.
In 2009, after over 50 years of service as an independent chapter, the former Valley Ladies Chapter combined with the Warren County Chapter. The two associated Chapters had always operated in close coordination, cooperation and support, and now serve together as one organization.
In 2013, a Conservation Easement for the Chapter Park was donated to the Virginia Outdoors Foundation. This will help to ensure that the Park's 155 acres will never feel development pressure, and its rural character will always be preserved.
Today, families continue to enjoy the farm with their children. The Chapter offers youth programs for children, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, shooting and archery range.
Who We Are
The Warren County Chapter was originally chartered in 1929. After becoming inactive during World War II, it was re-activated. At least one of the members who were instrumental in re-activating the Chapter in the mid- 1940's remained active until his recent passing. One of our remaining members served in Europe in WWII, and landed at Normandy.
In March 1955, the fourteen Chapter members voted to purchase our property at a cost of $4,000. That brave act was financed by members selling bonds to each other. People laughed because $25 an acre was thought to be a high price in 1955. Taxes were $8.36 a year.
The land was - and remains - a 155-acre farm. The farmhouse was built in the 1890's with lumber harvested from the mountain east of the house.
Our chapter continues to play a vital role in our community through our Save the Streams program and our Anti Litter Program, we are striving to educate and serve our community with conservation stewardship. We also offer two scholarships each year to high school seniors preparing to head for college.
We are accepting applications from Warren County residents for individuals or family memberships. If you would like to join the park and all it has to offer click on the link below to download and submit a membership application.